Sunday, September 4, 2011

FRESH TOMATO JUICE DY6WK3BLK1

We have alot of tomato plants in our garden....20 to be exact....luckily for us they didn't produce prodigious amounts of tomatoes...we would have been overwhelmed.  As it is, I went out yesterday and brought in at least 10 lbs of tomatoes..maybe more...most of them are decent but a rather bland....(luckily some of them have really great flavor)...I took most of the large blander ones and blanched them to get their skins off, then cored them...I was looking in my cookbooks for tomato sauce recipes..found a really good sounding one in The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas....but I didn't fancy spending all that time with bubbling sauce and didn't really want to cook the tomatoes either...so I squeezed the juice out by squeezing all of the tomatoes up as much as I could with my hands, then put them in the inner plastic bowl of my salad spinner as it has little horizontal spaces that the juice could go through but not most of the pulp....then strained that through a mesh strainer to get out all of the seeds...and put the remaining tomato pulp in with the tomatillos from my garden that I had cooked up earlier with some onion, and jalapeno.  So...that is going to be used to make enchiladas for the family tomorrow...and I got three quarts of very good tasting tomato juice.

This morning I made a yummy banana bread cake....using 7 ripe bananas, a box of chocolate almond granola, sunflower oil, rice milk...quite good.  I had 2 oranges for breakfast, cake and ice cream (a very yummy organic vanilla ice cream) for lunch, and to make up a bit, only tomato juice for dinner.  Oh and I also had a green smoothie.  My husband made this literally killer smoothie with tons seriously tons of kale in it...I can take most things but this was too strong for me, so I added a peach and a banana to it, then I could drink it.  He had fruit with his also...but not enough to balance out that kale.

After making the cake, dealing with the tomatoes and running around town, I then cooked some chicken for the family, and made a cheesecake.  I had made one for my 17 yr olds birthday....put alot of lemon zest and juice in it....made it with coconut sugar...it was soooo good..........had to make another.

So.....yes.  That was my day.  Oops until my bedtime snack.  I ate a cold hamburger with catsup & mustard.  Hey!  I was hungry!

ciao bellas!

Was down 1.5 lbs today when I got up around 10 am.

Curious to see what tomorrow will be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment