Sunday, October 5, 2008

YUMMY LENTIL SOUP

I made my yummy lentil soup tonight....and broke all of the rules. It wasn't raw or vegetarian. At least not 100%. The base was some turkey broth leftover from our organic thanksgiving turkey, and of course, the soup was cooked...but it is chock full of veggies. I started out with 4 cups of turkey broth, added 4 cups of water, then a Maneschevitz lentil soup packet (you know those long skinny cello wrapped packets of lentils, split peas, more lentils and pasta). I threw away the seasoning packet as I don't trust what is in it, then chopped off the top part of a butternut squash, peeled it, cut it into thin long pieces, and let that all cook. While that was cooking, I put 4 smallish onions and at least 6 stalks of celery through the slicer in my food processor, sauteed those lightly in a pan with lots of olive oil, salt and pepper, then set those aside in a bowl, while I sliced up and sauteed and then pureed a red bell pepper (all this subterfuge to fool my 12 yr old who does not like peppers), once the lentils and squash were cooked through, I mashed them a bit with a potato masher, then added about half or two thirds of the onion celery mixture plus all of the bell pepper puree, then pureed the rest of the onion celery mix and threw that in as well, then I grated a good bit of fresh ginger into it, at least an inch, used the ceramic Japanese ginger grater, which makes it nice and fine fine fine, then I chopped up a good bit of Lacinato aka Black aka Dino kale...need to chop that up very well or you get it all clumped up like I did, so I pulled it back out and chopped it a bit more in the food processor. Then I added a bit of apple cider vinegar (not too much...just to taste), then a bit of Mrs. Dash's spicy seasoning blend, a good bit of curry, and also about half of a jar of Bertolli's pasta sauce (olive oil & garlic) which by the way you can buy at super Target for about $2.04 a jar. It is the best. And voila.......a very nutritious and delicious soup which is soooo good for you.
If you like less spice, then leave the spicy stuff out, it is still delicious and nutritious.

I ate some. But it's lots of veggies, and I didn't cook them too much and and and...and it feels good especially with this cold which is so slow to leave. But I am getting better. Had more energy today. And I am still raw...but this is good for me to do. Didn't bring me down like cooked food usually does, so I know it was a good thing.

Otherwise I have been very good and all raw. Breakfast was a banana then a Lara bar, then went out and ran errands. Came back and made my usual Green smoothie with parsley from my garden (next year I am planting lots and lots of parsley) (it comes back for a second season on it's own but not a third), and dandelion greens and kale...with orange juice and grapefruit juice and banana. And my boys ate one again even though it was thick and a bit fibrous. yeah boys.

Weight this morning was 183.......will it be 183 tomorrow? I also ate some macadamia nuts and pecans today and some yummy nectarines from the farmers market. Maybe do a salad later...but that soup is still calling to me. My silly scale also showed me 179.5....it's a digital...but that was good. It's a sign of what's to come! Do hope I have energy on Tuesday for kickboxing....probably will go no matter what, as I've missed 2 already. This type of cold is definitely my nemesis. I rarely get sick.....but this cold got me. But not again.

When did it get to be fall? I love it, but I wish we could just have September and October for the next 4 months, then move right on into spring. I do not like winter so much. I like snow but not the cold...esp in my house as we don't heat it much.....and it's cold...but this winter I will be a cozy bear......and if I am cold I will just wear more clothes. Just lots and lots of clothes. That is what I do.

Oh Oh OH!! My dh and I are going to New Mexico.......in 2 weeks? 3 weeks....staying in a b&b in Chimayo, with it's own little fireplace it's kind of a suite.....and has a kitchenette if you can call a microwave and a toaster oven a kitchenette, but that's okay because I don't eat cooked foods! And I have foresworn microwaves..don't even heat my tea in them anymore.

And the boyos are staying behind with friends.......so we are going to be alone.......we so rarely go anywhere. It will be so nice!

Ciao bellas!
Stay healthy
love
Alessandra

No comments:

Post a Comment