Friday, October 3, 2008

RAW DAIRY, LIST OF DEAD FOODS, GREEN SMOOTHIE DELUXE

I have been sick this week. Dang. And it all started last week, after sharing my water bottle with my son who was getting sick but didn't realize it yet (foolish thing, that, as I know better) and for a time, I felt tired, but okay, no overt symptoms, until.........until the day I ate about 2 ounces of raw cheddar goat cheese. Within 20 minutes I was sneezing my head off and things only went from bad to worse. I thought inspite of all that that I was managing, until Tuesday evening my sinuses drained like a faucet non-stop, thank you Candida, which only stopped after I got up and ate some dried currants. For me with Candida, it works like this. Certain sweets turn my Candida on, certain sweets turn it off (ie the sinus drainage, and other Candida affects such as inordinate crabbiness, feeling off and zombie like, etc.) So I tried currants, and they worked. It is always a guessing game, but thankfully it worked, but not before the lovely drainage sent the cold down into my lungs. I woke up on Wednesday feeling a bit blah but relatively ok, but by mid-day it was clear to me that I was not feeling well at all, that I was getting bronchitis, so I went home, but on the way stopped at the vitamin store and bought some OregaResp (Oregano oil capsules with other herbal oils), and lots of fruit. Plums, oranges and grapefruit. I went home and took lots of OregaResp, made tea, and drank orange/grapefruit juice and rested. My loving hubby made dinner. I stayed home from work Thursday and Friday, sleeping and resting, and eating lightly and am slowly getting better.

And I discovered a new raw website, by Zoe Desmond and Chris Carlton...and their list of dead foods. I was sad to find out that raw tahini isn't truly raw and neither are macadamia nuts or brazil nuts. But it makes sense, and I suppose one could grind their own raw tahini. And here I just stocked up on macadamias. I will still eat them, but will think twice about getting more. Luckily pine nuts are truly raw, and of course we all know that after that lovely September dictatorial edict no almonds from the US are truly raw anymore. You can find the entire list at Zoe & Chris' website www.purelyraw.com Don't they both just look so marvelous?

I also have been making some truly deluxe green smoothies. And my kids even like them. One important thing when making them is to get the greens well blended/ground up. I don't have a VitaMix or a K-tec, but here is what I do. I put the greens in my food processor with the S-blade, breaking them into pieces if they are long, like parsley, taking the middle stems out of kale (so it isn't overly fibrous) and I use lots of greens, and I put them in first, and blend them until they are quite finely ground. Then I add a generous amount of olive oil and blend them some more. Say 1/4 to 1/2 cup, I actually do not measure. Then I add in 2 ripe bananas and blend some more. Then for this particular smoothie, my deluxe smoothie, I add the juice of 4 oranges and 1 large grapefruit. This is a really good combo for adding in cilantro as the flavors work with it so well. My boys ages 12 & 14 didn't really want any, but after they drank them (with a bit of coersion from moi, involving loss of computers) they asked for more. Yes!

Another thing I read, in Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko, was about body acidity and alkalinity. It turns out the main cause of cancer, what allows it to exist, is an acidic body. And she mentioned parmesan cheese as being highly acidic. wah. sigh. It makes such a lovely addition to my salads. sigh. Will have to leave that behind, but I have recently discovered some wonderful flax crackers made by "Matter of Flax" of Prescott, AZ...and they are so good! So far I have tried the Italian and the Mexican flax crackers and I love them both. They really help when I am missing something crunchy and breadlike.

So happy that I am doing well being 100% raw...okay 99% but aiming for 100%. Need to get raw salad dressings into my routine, I know making them is extremely easy, but it's a matter of having the ingredients, bottles to store them in, fridge space...logistics. Drop the parmesan cheese, and the occasional non-raw salsa that I mix with my avocado. So yummy though...it's a hot spicy Salsa Diablo made by Desert Pepper Trading Company.

Today's food was a large green smoothie, made as described above, then later on, a lime Lara bar, not sure how raw that is, supposed to be raw, but doubt it's 100%, then I came home and made another large green smoothie and shared it with my family, then at 2 plums, some flax crackers (not all at once, over a period of time), dinner was a large mixed greens salad, with a small orange sweet pepper, a large carrot shredded, some broccoli, half an avocado, a medium tomato, a small bit of red onion, a bit of thinly sliced poblano pepper (spicy!) and a nice handful of pine nuts, with some Seeds of Change Greek Feta Dressing (not raw). Yummy!~No parmesan cheese, though it would be delicious on this salad. Too acidic. sigh.


So stay healthy all y'all
ciao bellas!
love
Alessandra

No comments:

Post a Comment